Fire-Adapted Communities (FAC)
The IAFC is an active partner in the National Wildland Fire Cohesive Strategy. As part of the IAFC's commitment to the development and implementation of the Cohesive Strategy we provide information and resources to the fire service, including a focus on Fire-Adapted Communities (FAC), a strategy toward the safe co-existence of human populations, infrastructure and wildland fire.
The IAFC's focus on FAC has taken shape in the work of the IAFC's Wildland Fire Policy Committee, the Ready, Set, Go! Program and the Wildland-Urban Interface conference, and guidance documents like Your Role in Fire Adapted Communities, a collaborative effort with the U.S. Fire Administration.
Learn more about the IAFC’s efforts toward Fire Adapted Communities by visiting the FAC information page on the RSG! Program website.
FAC Toolkit video
The Hero in You - PSA video
The IAFC and the Ready, Set, Go! Program are partners of the FAC Coalition. The coalition is a group of partners committed to helping communities and their members adapt to living with wildland-fire by reducing their risk for damage without compromising firefighter or civilian safety. Additional partners include:
- Insurance Institute for Business and Home Safety
- National Association of State Foresters
- National Fire Protection Association & Firewise
- National Volunteer Fire Council
- National Wildfire Coordinating Working Group – Wildland Urban Interface Mitigation Committee
- The Nature Conservancy & Fire Learning Network
- USDA Forest Service
- United States Department of the Interior
- United States Fire Administration
- The Watershed Research and Training Center
Be Political without Being a Politician: 9 Tips for Planning and Mindset
"What is a FSEDI?"
¿Hablas Español? Engaging Your Spanish-Speaking Community
President's Letter: Command and Tough Decisions