Fire Service Executive Development Institute
The Fire Service Executive Development Institute (FSEDI) is a program developed by the IAFC and funded by a grant from Motorola Solutions Foundation to provide new and aspiring chiefs with the tools they need to have a successful and productive tenure.
Criteria and Guidelines
- Application is open to new and aspiring chiefs who have demonstrated a commitment to career advancement.
- Participants must make a one-year commitment to the program that includes the following:
- A 6-day introductory residency at the National Conference Center in Leesburg, Va. Experts from the fire and emergency service and the private sector will cover topics such as ethics, leadership in the new era, emerging concepts in organizational design and delivery, effective use of science and data, budgeting and spend management, and labor–management relations. The last day will focus on how to be successful in recruiting and hiring processes.
- 4-6 month period of self study during which the participants will have access to mentors and executive coaches. There will also be opportunities for peer discussions.
- 2 days of additional sessions followed by continued mentoring and coaching.
- At the end of the program, participants will come together for a final 2-day debriefing session.
- Upon completion of the program, participants will be asked to complete a project that contributes to the enhancement of the fire service and to actively participate in professional organizations at the state or national level.
This program is limited to 20 participants. Applicants who are accepted to this program will be awarded a scholarship to cover the cost of airfare, housing and meals. The first travel date will be May 3. The first sessions begin May 4 and run through May 9.
Contact Mary Beth Michos at 703-680-1150.
Funded by a grant from
FirstNet Consultation Schedule
Safety & Health: Bet You've Seen a Lot
Fire & Life Safety: Firefighter and Public Safety in the Built Environment
Company Officer Leadership: Saving Firefighters from Themselves